Public Safety officers saw a mountain lion last night at approximately 10:45 PM near the intersection of President’s and Seaver Drive. The sighting was reported to the local sheriff’s department and the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Do not hike, bike, or jog alone, especially from dusk until dawn when mountain lions are most active.
- Remember Public Safety security escorts are available on the Malibu campus 24/7 by calling Public Safety Dispatch at (310) 506-4442.
- If you see a mountain lion on or near the Malibu campus, please report the incident to the Department of Public Safety at (310) 506-4441.
- If safe to do so, please take a picture and/or video and send it to Public Safety via the LiveSafe app.
As a reminder, if you encounter a mountain lion:
- Respect the animal.
- Maintain eye contact and move away slowly.
- Do NOT run. Running will trigger the mountain lion’s instinct to chase you.
- Appear as large, loud, and powerful as possible.
- If there are small children or pets present, pick them up immediately. Additionally do NOT leave them unattended outside.
- Do not approach the mountain lion, leave space for the cat to escape.
- In the unlikely event of an attack, fight back. Do not fall to the ground or roll into the fetal position.
Welcome to Pepperdine University’s Emergency Information website. CURRENTLY ALL UNIVERSITY OPERATIONS ARE NORMAL.
This Emergency Information Web site may be accessed via a link on Pepperdine University’s Home Page at anytime. You may wish to save the URL for easy referencing in the event of an emergency impacting Pepperdine University in Malibu, or any of its campuses. During an emergency, information on this site will be updated regularly to keep students, faculty, staff, and family members informed with accurate and current information.
In addition to briefings which are posted during an emergency, this site makes it easy for you to obtain the latest information or road conditions affecting the Malibu campus. In the event of an emergency, the latest information will be posted at the top of this page.
Pepperdine’s Toll Free Emergency Hotline: (888) 286-5659.
The recorded message is updated regularly during emergency situations.
Information about current road conditions is also available on the Road Condition Hotline at (310) 506-ROAD (7623).
To report an emergency on the Malibu campus and at all other domestic University campuses, call 911. Then please call the Department of Public Safety at (310) 506-4441.
If you have any questions, please call the Office of Public Relations and News at (310) 506-4138.
The Malibu campus continues to experience intermittent power outages. Southern California Edison (SCE) currently estimates full restoration of power to the Malibu campus sometime after the end of the normal work day. As a result, University officials have cancelled classes on the Malibu campus only for the remainder of the day.
Critical Support Personnel (CSP) as designated by their Supervisor, should follow departmental established protocols for determining whether to remain on campus or be released for the remainder of the day. All other Malibu campus faculty and staff are released for the remainder of the day pending approval of their supervisors.
Power has been restored to some parts of the Malibu campus as of 12:40 PM. Continuing SCE outage complications have left parts of the Malibu campus without power.
Pepperdine officials are continuing to monitor the situation, and additional information will be shared with the University community as it becomes available. At this time, all University campuses remain open and classes are in session. For the latest news and information on this outage, please visit Pepperdine’s emergency blog at emergency.pepperdine.edu.