The National Weather Service has issued Red Flag Warning and High Wind Event through Tuesday, October 16, 2028 at 8:00 PM. Wind gusts along the coast are expected to be 35 to 55 miles per hour with relative humidity predicted between 8% and 15%.
Red Flag warnings issued by the National Weather Service identify time periods when conditions are ideal for wildfires. During Red Flag warnings it is especially important to:
- Report any signs of smoke immediately to emergency responders. If on the Malibu campus call Public Safety at 310.506.4441. At all other locations report smoke by calling 911.
- Use caution when disposing of cigarettes and ensure that they are completely extinguished.
- Minimize any use of open flame in outdoor settings.
Pepperdine Public Safety is monitoring the situation and is prepared to respond to potential wildfires.
The power outage impacting the Malibu Campus has been resolved. Southern California Edison was able to restore power. Malibu classes are being held as follows for the remainder of today:
- Seaver College classes are canceled through 5 PM. Classes beginning after 5 PM will be held as regularly scheduled.
- School of Public Policy classes are canceled through 5 PM. Classes beginning after 5 PM will be held as regularly scheduled.
- School of Law classes beginning after 3 PM will be held as regularly scheduled.
- Graziadio Business School classes will be held as regularly scheduled.
- Graduate School of Education and Psychology classes will be held as regularly scheduled.
All Malibu campus employees are expected to remain on campus and complete their regularly scheduled shifts.
For the latest news and information on this outage, please visit Pepperdine’s Emergency Information Page at emergency.pepperdine.edu.
A power outage is impacting the Malibu Campus and surrounding areas of Malibu. Southern California Edison teams are investigating the issue. At this time, all University campuses remain open and classes are in session.
Pepperdine officials will continue to monitor the situation and will share additional information with the University community as it becomes available. For the latest news and information on this outage, please visit Pepperdine’s Emergency Information Page at emergency.pepperdine.edu.
Three mountain lion sightings were reported to Public Safety this week:
- September 21 at 12:06 AM – Near the Howard A. White Center (HAWC) – Unconfirmed
- September 19 at 7:05 AM – On the ridge between the Mallmann House and Brock House – Confirmed
- September 19 at 6:33 AM – Walking In Joselyn Plaza near Elkins Auditorium and last seen heading up the stairs towards the Seaver Main Parking Lot – Confirmed
Pepperdine officials share confirmed mountain lion sightings near the Malibu campus to ensure the University community is informed of, but not alarmed by, the wildlife with whom we share the Santa Monica Mountains.
- Do not hike, bike, or jog alone, especially from dusk until dawn when mountain lions are most active.
- Remember Public Safety security escorts are available on the Malibu campus 24/7 by calling Public Safety Dispatch at (310) 506-4442.
- If you see a mountain lion on or near the Malibu campus, please report the incident to Public Safety at (310) 506-4441.
- If safe to do so, please take a picture and/or video and send it to Public Safety via the LiveSafe app.
As a reminder, if you encounter a mountain lion:
- Respect the animal.
- Maintain eye contact and move away slowly.
- Do NOT run. Running will trigger the mountain lion’s instinct to chase you.
- Appear as large, loud, and powerful as possible.
- If there are small children or pets present, pick them up immediately. Additionally do NOT leave them unattended outside.
- Do not approach the mountain lion; leave space for the cat to escape.
- In the unlikely event of an attack, fight back. Do not fall to the ground or roll into the fetal position.