A Red Flag Warning was issued for the Santa Monica Mountains beginning at midnight on Monday, October 9, 2017 and continuing through Tuesday October 10, 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Red Flag warnings identify time periods when conditions are ideal for wildfires: gusty winds, low relative humidity, and low fuel moisture levels. During Red Flag warnings it is especially important to:
- Report any signs of smoke immediately to emergency responders. If on the Malibu campus, call Public Safety at (310) 506-4441. At all other locations, report smoke by calling 911.
- Smoke only in approved locations. Use caution when disposing of cigarettes and ensure that they are completely extinguished.
- Minimize any use of open flame in outdoor settings.
Pepperdine Public Safety is monitoring the situation and is prepared to respond to potential wildfires. Additional information regarding Red Flag warnings and Pepperdine’s wildfire response plans is available on the University’s Emergency Information Page, http://emergency.pepperdine.edu, and in the Emergency Preparedness Guide found in WaveNet beginning on page 16.
Pepperdine officials are monitoring a small plane crashed on the 405 Freeway adjacent to John Wayne Airport. The situation has closed the freeway.
GSEP has canceled classes at the Irvine Campus for Friday, June 30.
Pepperdine University officials continue to monitor the Stokes Fire and the Topanga Fire. The Los Angeles County Fire and Los Angeles Fire Departments continue to fight the fires and an incident command post is open at the Drescher Campus.
At this time the fires are not threatening any of Pepperdine’s southern California campuses.
Malibu Canyon is open. Topanga Canyon is closed.
Pepperdine University officials are currently monitoring two wildfires near Pepperdine campuses.
- The Stokes Fire, in Calabasas near the intersection of Malibu Canyon and Mulholland is approximately 30-50 acres.
- The Topanga Fire, in Malibu near the intersection of Topanga Canyon and PCH is approximately 50 acres.
Los Angeles County Fire is fighting both fires with both ground crews and air support. Additionally an incident command post for the fires will be setup at Pepperdine’s Drescher Campus.
Road Closures at this time include:
- Topanga Canyon
- PCH at Sunset Boulevard