Latest Event Updates
Pepperdine University officials continue to monitor several wildfires in Southern California. At this time, all University campuses remain open and classes will continue as regularly scheduled. If conditions change, University officials will update the community as soon as possible. Please continue to monitor the University’s Emergency Information Page for the latest information.
Pepperdine University officials are monitoring several wildfires in Southern California. Currently, all University campuses are open. However we are evaluating conditions that could impact specific campuses, particularly Encino and West L.A. If campus conditions change we will notify the community as soon as possible. We will update this information by noon today.
Pepperdine has received information from Los Angeles County Fire concerning the Santa Paula Fire located in Ventura County. The fire is currently 31,000 acres, and has destroyed 150 structures and caused more than 27,000 people to be evacuated. Extra patrols for Los Angeles County Fire are moving through the Santa Monica Mountains looking for signs of additional sources of smoke or fire. The fire is not currently affecting any of Pepperdine’s campuses, but there is heavy smoke in Malibu.
Please be advised of the following:
- Community members whose homes are affected by the fire or road closures should follow the directions of their local governmental agencies.
- Road condition information is available on the University’s Road Condition hotline at 310.506.ROAD (7623).
The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag warning due to Santa Ana winds and low relative humidity beginning on Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:00 PM through Thursday, December 7, 2017 at at 6:00 PM.. The warning includes the valley areas of Los Angeles and Ventura Counties as well as coastal areas including Ventura County and Malibu.
Red Flag warnings issued by the National Weather Service identify time periods when conditions are ideal for wildfires. During Red Flag warnings it is especially important to:
- Report any signs of smoke immediately to emergency responders. If on the Malibu campus call Public Safety at 310.506.4441. At all other locations report smoke by calling 911.
- Note there is no smoking on the Malibu Campus during red flag warnings.
- Minimize any use of open flame in outdoor settings.
Pepperdine Public Safety is monitoring the situation and is prepared to respond to potential wildfires. Additional information regarding Red Flag warnings and Pepperdine’s wildfire response plans is available on the University’s Emergency Information Page and in the Emergency Preparedness Guide found in WaveNet beginning on page 15.