Inclement Weather and Modified Operations for Tomorrow (2/24)
Pepperdine officials are monitoring severe weather conditions expected to affect Los Angeles County beginning Friday, February 24, and continuing into the weekend. Due to a number of unique factors including unexpected and disruptive weather patterns and the potential for heavy rain, limited visibility, debris flows, rock slides, and mudslides on canyon roads and Pacific Coast Highway, business operations will be modified at all of Pepperdine’s Southern California campuses. Please note the following updates to campus operations:
- Seaver College and Caruso School of Law (CSOL) classes scheduled for Friday, February 24, are canceled.
- Graduate School of Education and Psychology (GSEP), Graziadio Business School (PGBS), and School of Public Policy (SPP) classes will be held online on Friday, February 24. Professors will be in touch with further details.
- Faculty and staff working on the Malibu, West Los Angeles, Calabasas, and Irvine campuses are encouraged to work remotely and should connect with their supervisors to determine if they need to report to campus.
- Critical support personnel may need to report to campuses and should follow established departmental protocols for determining whether to come to campus if they can do so safely.
Events scheduled to take place at one of Pepperdine’s Southern California campuses tomorrow and this weekend are subject to change with little notice. If you are planning to attend an on-campus event, please check the status with the sponsoring department. Dining Services will remain in operation, and food service will be available on the Malibu campus. For updated hours and locations, please visit the Pepperdine Dining Services website.
Pepperdine will continue to monitor severe weather conditions in the area. All employees and students are encouraged to remain informed about conditions for Pepperdine’s Southern California campuses by utilizing the following information resources:
- Road Conditions Hotline: 310.506.ROAD (7623)
- Pepperdine’s Toll-Free Emergency Hotline: 888.286.5659
- Emergency Information Page: emergency.pepperdine.edu
All Campuses Open – Malibu Canyon Closed
All campuses are open and operating, and classes will be held today as regularly scheduled. Drivers are urged to make personal safety their first priority, using caution and good judgment when considering travel along the roads leading to campus as fog, rocks, mud, and debris may be encountered.
At this time, Malibu Canyon is currently closed in both directions due to mudslides from Piuma to Civic Center Way. Road crews will assess conditions at 6am. Kanan Road and Pacific Coast Highway remain open.
The University will continue to monitor road conditions, and any significant updates will be shared on the Road Conditions Hotline at 310.506.ROAD and posted on the University’s Emergency Information Page. Community members are advised to regularly check the hotline before traveling to campus, especially during inclement weather conditions. Greater Los Angeles road conditions can be viewed online at www.sigalert.com.
Current Road Closures include:
- Malibu Canyon Road is closed in both directions from Civic Center to Piuma. A work crew will assess conditions at 6:00am.
- Topanga Canyon Road, while not a primary route to campus, is also closed from PCH to Mullholland.
All employees and students are encouraged to drive slowly and carefully, leave plenty of extra time for travel, and remain informed about conditions for Pepperdine’s Southern California campuses.
Monitoring Inclement Weather
Pepperdine officials are monitoring the current inclement weather. The national weather service has identified a major storm presently in the Southern California area that may continue to bring heavy rain and wind to the area over the next 24 hours. This storm may result in flooding, debris flow, and/or road closures.
All employees and students are encouraged to drive slowly and carefully, leave plenty of extra time for travel, and remain informed about conditions for Pepperdine’s Southern California campuses by utilizing the following information resources:
- Road hotline: 310.506.ROAD (7623)
- Emergency hotline: 888.286.5659
- Emergency Information Page: emergency.pepperdine.edu
If multiple road closures result from the storm, please note that decisions regarding class cancellations, or campus closures where only critical support personnel would report to campus, are ordinarily made by the Emergency Operations Committee before 6 AM on days affected by storms. If classes are canceled, the information resources listed above will be immediately updated and a message distributed.
Calabasas Campus Suspect Update
Jamey Jimerson, the individual who visited the Calabasas campus on October 19, 2022, was released from jail on bond today pending a court date in mid-December. The University had registered for and received notice of this action upon his release.
Out of an abundance of caution, pursuant to a plan already in place for the possibility of this person’s release, the University is implementing an enhanced security plan, which includes additional measures in Malibu and Calabasas along with close coordination with the security teams at all campuses. Public Safety is also working with law enforcement to remain informed while closely monitoring the situation and adjusting our approach accordingly to best protect the University community.
Though we are not aware of a specific connection of Mr. Jimerson to Pepperdine or any indication he will return to one of our campuses, community members should nonetheless be aware and observant. If you see Mr. Jimerson at or near any Pepperdine campus, please call 911 and the Department of Public Safety at 310-506-4111. A photograph of Mr. Jimerson is shown below.
You must be logged in to post a comment.