Relocation of Persons with Disabilities

NOTE: The individual with the disability is the best authority on how to be relocated. It is suggested that these individuals prepare for an emergency ahead of time by instructing coworkers or fellow students on how to assist in an emergency and registering with the Disability Services Office at the Malibu campus and/or with the coordinator for that campus location:

Student Accessibility (310) 506-6500
Calabasas (818) 702-1000
Encino (818) 501-1600
Irvine (949) 223-2500
West Los Angeles (310) 568-5737
  • As a first choice, use the building elevator, BUT NEVER IN THE CASE OF FIRE, EARTHQUAKE OR POWER OUTAGE.
  • During an emergency, request assistance from those nearest you. If no one is there to render assistance, proceed to the nearest stairway landing, and shout for help.
  • If assistance is not immediately available, continue to call for help until rescued. Individuals who cannot speak loudly should carry a whistle or have other means of attracting the attention of others.

In the event of an emergency, designated co-workers or students should assist in the following ways:

  • Visual Impairments: Most persons with visual impairments will be familiar with their immediate surroundings. In the event of an emergency, guide the person to the nearest emergency exit.
  • Hearing Impairments: Some persons with hearing impairments may not perceive audio emergency alarms and will need to be alerted to the situation.
  • Ambulatory Mobility Impairments: If individuals are able to walk up or down stairs, it is advisable that they wait until the heavy traffic has cleared before attempting to evacuate. A colleague should provide assistance in exiting the building, if needed.