Pepperdine has well-practiced and long-standing plans for handling power outages. University officials will remain in direct contact with Southern California Edison, along with other governmental agencies, and will provide updates to the University community as they become available. Additionally, the University has emergency lighting that activates during a power outage to provide limited emergency lighting to assist in the proper evacuation of facilities. If the Malibu campus loses power for a period of time, messages from the Emergency Operations Committee will be posted at predetermined locations with updates and instructions. Click on the map at the top of this page to view these locations.
If a power outage occurs:
- Remain calm.
- At Malibu: call the Department of Public Safety at (310) 506-4441.
- At other California campuses: contact the coordinator at your location:
Calabasas (818) 702-1000 Encino (818) 504-1600 Irvine (949) 223-2500 West Los Angeles (310) 568-5737
If there is no answer, contact the Department of Public Safety at (310) 506-4442.
- Give your name, location, and telephone number. Advise the dispatcher or coordinator of the situation and of any additional locations that are without power. The dispatcher or coordinator will immediately notify the appropriate department or agency of the outage.
- Provide assistance to other individuals in your immediate area.
- If you are in an unlit area, proceed cautiously to an area that has emergency lights.
- If you are trapped in an elevator, remain calm. Use the intercom, emergency telephone, or emergency call button. Public Safety officers, or the fire department, will be dispatched to your location for assistance.
- If necessary, Emergency Response Team (ERT) or Residential Emergency Response Team (RERT) personnel and/or Public Safety will move through all public areas with flashlights, escorting people to safety.
- When you are safe, stand by for instruction from University officials or from Public Safety personnel. If instructed to relocate, proceed to one of the designated areas and report to your ERT/RERT member.
- Unless otherwise directed or it is unsafe to do so, employees are expected to remain at work until their scheduled shift ends and students are expected to attend their classes as scheduled.