Recent Malibu Campus Mountain Lion Sightings Update
Due to the number of recent mountain lion sightings, including two last night near Smothers Theatre and the construction site above Stotsenberg Track, University officials contacted the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and National Parks Service to request assessment of the recent mountain lion behavior on the Malibu campus. While this review is underway:
- Do not hike, bike, or jog alone, especially from dusk until dawn when mountain lions are most active.
- Remember Public Safety security escorts are available on the Malibu campus 24/7 by calling Public Safety Dispatch at (310) 506-4442.
- If you see a mountain lion on or near the Malibu campus, please report the incident to the Department of Public Safety at (310) 506-4441.
Additionally, please take the following actions if you encounter a mountain lion on campus:
- Respect the animal.
- Maintain eye contact and move away slowly.
- Do NOT run. Running will trigger the mountain lion’s instinct to chase you.
- Appear as large, loud, and powerful as possible.
- If there are small children or pets present, pick them up immediately. Do NOT leave them unattended outside.
- Do not approach the mountain lion, leave space for the cat to escape.
- In the unlikely event of an attack, fight back. Do not fall to the ground or roll into the fetal position.