Pepperdine officials share confirmed mountain lion sightings near the Malibu campus to ensure the University community is informed of, but not overly alarmed by, the wildlife with whom we share the Santa Monica Mountains. Over the last week, several mountain lion sightings have been reported at the following locations:
- February 24 – 11:38 PM – Baxter Drive Park – Confirmed
- The mountain lion was found near a deer carcass. It may return to the area to continue feeding for the next few days. As a precaution, Baxter Drive Park has been temporarily closed.
- February 24 – 4:00 PM – Hero’s Garden – Confirmed
- February 23 – 7:13 PM – Via Pacifica and Chaparral Circle – Unconfirmed
- February 23 – 12:45 AM – Thornton Administrative Center – Unconfirmed
- February 22 – 5:06 PM – Tiner Court – Confirmed
- February 21 – 9:10 PM – Lovernich – Unconfirmed
- February 19 – 12:45 AM – President’s and Seaver Drive Intersection – Confirmed
- February 17 – 4:15 AM – Center for Communication and Business Parking Lot – Unconfirmed
Please note that confirmed sightings are those seen directly by University officials or with photo/video documentation.
We continue to work closely with the National Parks Service and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to assess the situation. You may observe personnel from these agencies on campus. These organizations do not characterize the behavior from the mountain lions as aggressive, and have indicated there is no current threat to the safety of the University community. University officials will continue to monitor this matter and advise the community to remain alert to wildlife on campus.
- Do not hike, bike, or jog alone, especially from dusk until dawn when mountain lions are most active.
- If you encounter an animal carcass while hiking, note the location, report it to Public Safety, and calmly leave the area.
- Remember Public Safety security escorts are available on the Malibu campus 24/7 by calling Public Safety Dispatch at (310) 506-4442.
- If you see a mountain lion on or near the Malibu campus, please report the incident to the Department of Public Safety at (310) 506-4441.
- If safe to do so, please take a picture and/or video and send it to Public Safety via the LiveSafe app.
As a reminder, if you encounter a mountain lion:
- Respect the animal.
- Maintain eye contact and move away slowly.
- Do NOT run. Running will trigger the mountain lion’s instinct to chase you.
- Appear as large, loud, and powerful as possible.
- If there are small children or pets present, pick them up immediately. Additionally do NOT leave them unattended outside.
- Do not approach the mountain lion. Leave space for the cat to escape.
- In the unlikely event of an attack, fight back. Do not fall to the ground or roll into the fetal position.