Mountain Lion Advisory – Recent Sightings on the Malibu Campus
Three mountain lion sightings were reported to Public Safety this week:
- September 21 at 12:06 AM – Near the Howard A. White Center (HAWC) – Unconfirmed
- September 19 at 7:05 AM – On the ridge between the Mallmann House and Brock House – Confirmed
- September 19 at 6:33 AM – Walking In Joselyn Plaza near Elkins Auditorium and last seen heading up the stairs towards the Seaver Main Parking Lot – Confirmed
Pepperdine officials share confirmed mountain lion sightings near the Malibu campus to ensure the University community is informed of, but not alarmed by, the wildlife with whom we share the Santa Monica Mountains.
- Do not hike, bike, or jog alone, especially from dusk until dawn when mountain lions are most active.
- Remember Public Safety security escorts are available on the Malibu campus 24/7 by calling Public Safety Dispatch at (310) 506-4442.
- If you see a mountain lion on or near the Malibu campus, please report the incident to Public Safety at (310) 506-4441.
- If safe to do so, please take a picture and/or video and send it to Public Safety via the LiveSafe app.
As a reminder, if you encounter a mountain lion:
- Respect the animal.
- Maintain eye contact and move away slowly.
- Do NOT run. Running will trigger the mountain lion’s instinct to chase you.
- Appear as large, loud, and powerful as possible.
- If there are small children or pets present, pick them up immediately. Additionally do NOT leave them unattended outside.
- Do not approach the mountain lion; leave space for the cat to escape.
- In the unlikely event of an attack, fight back. Do not fall to the ground or roll into the fetal position.