University Actions Following Safer at Home Orders
Pepperdine’s Emergency Operations Committee (EOC) has carefully evaluated the Safer at Home directives announced by Los Angeles County and the State of California. We understand these orders raise additional questions about what our community can and cannot do, and Pepperdine’s updated policies reflect our community’s intent to support the public health effort and comply with these orders. Your help in adhering to these new mandates reflects Pepperdine’s commitment to our family, our neighbors, and the global community. We are grateful for your cooperation in these unprecedented times.
Based on these orders, the EOC has taken the following actions:
- In accordance with stay-at-home provisions, commuter students should remain at their homes and not access University campuses while these orders are in effect. If this causes an academic challenge, contact the associate dean of commuter students, Stacy Montgomery.
- All University library locations are now closed until further notice. Remote library services remain available.
- Graduate campuses are now closed to all visitors, but remain open to faculty and staff for essential purposes.
- All campus bookstores are now closed.
- The John Tyler Drive booth entrance on the Malibu campus is now closed. All traffic on to campus will go through the Seaver Drive booth until further notice.
- Interim Restrictions for Campus Visitors have been updated to allow only essential invited guests on the Malibu campus using the visitor form.
- Interim Travel Restrictions have been extended through April 19. Any essential University travel must receive prior approval by the EOC.
- All in-person University events have been suspended through April 19.
- All faculty and staff should work remotely when possible. Faculty and staff may access campuses to facilitate remote distance learning or perform essential functions if that work cannot be accomplished remotely. Supervisors should ensure the minimum number of Critical Support Personnel are reporting to work to maintain essential University operations.
Reminder on Social Distancing
The orders reinforce social distancing measures, and the University is committed to honoring these important directives. All gatherings of 10 or more people are prohibited, and gatherings of less than 10 people must adhere to strict social distancing requirements.
President’s Briefing via Zoom on Monday at 9 AM
All faculty, staff, and students are invited to attend a special online President’s Briefing this Monday, March 23, beginning at 9 AM. As always, this briefing will begin with a devotional after which President Gash will provide additional updates to the community and answer questions you may have. The Zoom link will be accessible from the President’s Briefing website.
The EOC remains on campus to lead this effort, continually addressing ongoing issues, and utilizing video conferencing to adhere to social distancing mandates. We are fully committed to you and your well-being during this time and will continue to provide updates to you in future messages. The latest information is always available on the University’s COVID-19 website and Emergency Information Page.